Thursday, January 12, 2012

Fighting genetics

Last weekend we had a family dinner, the usual sister, brother, kids, but also with my mums first cousin and husband who we hardly ever see (except at weddings and funerals).Three generations. Over dinner we were discussing family member traits, comparing how one generation is so much like the previous generation in mannersims, personality and habits.This can be expected. 

But we started to talk about those traits that we may not be so proud of, like compulsive hoarding or disorganisation. It appears that this runs in our family. You know the type, those who both keep every newspaper and piece of "rubbish" from years back and never throw out anything. But we started to compare notes on those of us who fight this urge on a regular basis, we know we have it in us to be disorganised and compulsive, but we find ourselves actively fighting it when we see it happening. Days of disorganisation are followed by days of manically oganising to avoid being like our relatives. Or we just do things that don't really get us anywhere- the photo below is a habit of my mother's. She cuts stamps off envelopes, soaks them off, dries them (around the sink!) and reuses them!


I often feel like I am fighting a losing battle, so while I can look organised on the outside, I don't get done what I want to do, and I always feel like I could be more productive and efficient. To reach my 2012 goals I knew something had to change. While I may not waste my time on stamps, I could procrastinate less.

Then while searching Amazon, I found a book that suited me to a tee called Eat that Frog! 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time by Brian Tracy. In two days I have started making lists and actually getting things done. I am working wholeheartedly towards my 2012 goals. I am not wasting as much time. I am confident that this will help me fight some of my genetic tendencies and actually achieve my goals. I am so excited.

What will you do in 2012 to help you reach your goals? Or will you be a slave to past habits? The choice is ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment